09年演唱会巡礼:北京-广州-成都-厦门-杭州
查看: 909|回复: 7

[相关] [06/12/04]英文专稿:大马华语原创音乐在亚洲大放异彩

[复制链接]
发表于 2006-12-4 17:43:58 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
The Star Malaysian pride   2 _  O8 [- W( T6 l9 m, e
2 z5 `7 R9 }) o" z! C
  4 T6 h( j, N1 M& z( [% I
   More Malaysian singers are hitting the right notes in the crowded Chinese music market in Asia, writes LI EE KEE.    
/ g5 K. i  }# C   
4 i5 `; j6 \; c/ g/ L! ~SO Michael Wong has been scorching the regional Chinese music charts with the melodious Mandarin love song Fairy Tale that he penned himself. If you aren’t already aware, the singer is just among a fast-rising crop of Malaysians who are making big waves in the Mandopop world in recent times.    
* u0 |/ Z- p3 L3 [   3 G+ s5 A% d  I2 M% u
Their achievements became more notable ever since the astonishing success of Wong – one half of the famous duo Michael & Victor until 2000 – at last year’s TVB8 Golden Music Awards in Hong Kong when he sweept four major awards. They were Best Composition for Tung Hua (Fairy Tale), Best Composer/Singer, Top 10 Songs of the Year and Best of the Year’s Top 10 Songs. The boyish-looking 36-year-old former employee of a computer company beat stalwarts like Hacken Lee, Leo Ku, Joey Yung, Anthony Wong and Eason Chan to the honours.    * a# {+ E4 {; u6 F3 l0 V
   ) h5 a$ B6 y4 P

4 H! t5 J5 t' I* `3 HAs a singer-songwriter, Michael Wong is the quintessential Malaysian Chinese musician.    6 R$ e% [) E+ W. ?7 q
More amazingly, Wong did it in his maiden participation in the prestigious event.    
4 E5 p7 V6 E3 R0 ?/ A1 O   3 P7 B& R6 g: N, d6 ?
Then, in March, the singer-composer made history as the first Malaysian to hold a concert at the famed Hong Kong Coliseum – his debut performance there. Tickets were reportedly snapped up in just five days after they had gone on sale.    
8 a  I1 x- r$ V1 m  B1 Z   - _8 u, z; x0 Q7 H3 c$ U
Wong certainly isn’t the only artiste carrying the torch for Malaysian Chinese singers abroad. Penny Tai and Fish Leong are two others currently enjoying much fame in Taiwan. The songbirds successfully staged their first concerts in Taiwan this year.    4 o: g  O8 W  r! Q- X* T/ G

4 ?& r( G- q& J! wYoung Lim Yee Chung raised more than a few eyebrows when he took home the Best Newcomer trophy at the prestigious Taiwan Golden Melody Awards – the Grammys of the East – early this year.    
$ v$ A: s0 x, f) _9 n   # B  p: ~2 |- H! b

# A$ y$ V: p5 P9 {" G& v% A   
& d, L# r& J) v% v, m! Y, N7 Y% XGary Chaw Ge became the toast of Taiwan with his hit single Superwoman, while Nicholas Teo’s star continues to shine bright abroad with a soaring singing and acting career. The 24-year-old is currently seen in the lead role of Taiwanese idol series Smiling Pasta, starring opposite Cyndi Wang.    & C: C3 v; d9 F& g
   $ Y" |# P8 ^7 r; j& O
There does seem to be a sudden, if not more intense, clamour for Malaysian talent.    
' Y- \. i/ v( L' C' d9 c   
/ r, n  d" R4 ^' rHowever, according to 988 deejays Saimon San and Sam, the phenomenon is not new. They pointed out that there were Eric Moo, who was really big in Hong Kong in the early 1990s, and long before him, Cheng Kam Cheong in the 1960s and 70s. Penang lass Mindy Quah has also established a name for herself in Taiwan and China, most memorably for the hit Tai Sha (Too Gullible), written by Moo.    ; L4 |& d- w/ Q8 \
   - S* g: B/ O2 v" I+ l; i/ ?
“I don’t think there was ever any doubt as to the ability of Malaysian singers,” noted Sam. “Sometime ago (Chinese-American superstar) Wang Leehom, when asked in an interview on CNN who he saw as potential young artistes, named Singaporean singer JJ Lin and our very own Gary Chaw Ge. It’s definitely high praise coming from an accomplished singer-songwriter.”    
; q, W( X0 h+ F  K$ e/ V- q( l; ^/ M1 p6 g+ n

# y- x, T* f6 p, v8 {3 z7 P% \2 j; r; EThe fact that Malaysians are gaining a foothold in the buoyant Chinese music market is indeed a great pride to the nation. It should be a good reason to silence sceptics who bear the mentality that local talent is inferior to foreign imports.      n: ?2 H+ R6 B
   / G% F3 ]) D. x7 ]( m$ O/ g; `
“It’s hard to pinpoint why or how this mindset (of homegrown talent not being good enough) came into place. It’s a matter of mentality that Malaysians have to ask themselves,” opined Saimon San.    " |) }: A6 l! f
   4 S. x& P' ]3 Z7 ~6 U6 V
To be fair, not all Malaysians thumb their noses at homegrown performers. Michael & Victor, Penny Tai, Nicholas Teo and boy-next-door Ah Niu, for example, had tasted considerable success at home before they spread their wings.    
( G8 [( ~9 X2 R) ^; T: _0 J   
7 e+ ~  ~: O& h# FHopefully, with the overwhelming stamp of approval Malaysian artistes have been receiving in countries such as Taiwan, Hong Kong, China and Singapore, there will be a shift in the attitude of Malaysians.    
: e# `2 R  c  K2 N   
$ ~* i7 z; x. c4 @! H/ a2 }! e% G   
5 M- f5 G* O6 ~8 |% z$ iNicholas Teo stars opposite Cyndi Wang (right) in the Taiwanese show Smiling Pasta. Indeed, Teo himself has many reasons to smile.    8 Q1 K% u( f% A. J; A  x) x
“The print and electronic media are pushing hard to promote local talent. If we don’t do it, what other avenues do our artistes have? That was also one of the main reasons behind the creation of the Global Chinese Music Awards,” explained San.    
9 A* g; K9 M2 K( n: d; S1 h' F   
0 F2 l  c- _1 p) Y) E0 mThe annual Global Chinese Music Awards, into its sixth edition this year, is a joint effort among seven Asian radio stations in China, Taiwan, Malaysia (represented by 988, which is operated by The Star), Singapore and Hong Kong. Despite being relatively new, the event is a great platform to expose local talent to international limelight.    
( K4 v* z# a" O) g/ z' O   
" n! B" \. j" AOn the local front, there are many events aimed at nurturing new talent and allowing youngsters to fulfil their dreams.    
; t& T( {6 v( s5 O* ]; i   
2 C/ {; y; c$ F% lSaid San: “Record companies have also begun to take more notice of homegrown talent, especially with the numerous singing competitions we have these days, from Astro Talent Quest, Malaysian Idol and One in a Million to Project SuperStar.    
2 E4 t, F' W1 }- L8 l   3 |/ i: L: n4 t4 Y* J
“However, it is also imperative that record companies which sign these people are able to nurture and promote them.”    
; B9 |6 y& b+ \   # Y- I) Q( Q# t$ e
Malaysian identity    
) L1 [0 u- V( n+ {5 x. `, a+ |   
! E1 D) M' F/ e: E/ J   ' a& D1 P2 z) t& |% @% o
Lim Yee Chung clinched the coveted Best New Artiste trophy at the 17th Golden Melody Awards in Taipei in June.    
( d; I3 d! C/ q) r  z% Q4 SBut in an industry that’s fiercely competitive, what makes Malaysian singers unique?    
4 y9 s' j* V: N. \; @' a   : H& f: h" O* H) m/ t3 m  D
Interestingly, Sam noted their identity as singer-composers.    / \6 e9 P( j: K) z& {

, g  P# [. I- d9 l6 M; r“A majority of our singers started out as composers before they were signed up as singers, Lim Yee Chung and Gary Chaw Ge are two cases in point. Unlike in Hong Kong, where almost every other album has songs written by Lam Jik and Wymen.    
: b' y. |( h/ w   
% q' X* ?; A8 e“In order to stand out from the crowd and prove their worth, Malaysian artistes need to find their own vocals and write their own stuff.”    ; ~2 t: ]1 E; ^( u* ?8 ]3 }

; k0 I/ K" P% o5 lBut before any of you singer wannabes dump your day job to cash in on the trend and pursue a singing career, think again.    + ~1 i5 h. H' J! A  p- y8 ~* V

/ i/ u$ `: |( NWarner Chinese repertoire promo executive Tan Hui Yee cautioned against looking only at the pretty picture, as there were equally many Malaysians who returned unsuccessful from abroad.    0 F2 h* n( d* K9 H- o" ~  q& r
   : c0 B3 u' a! m8 j" {
“It depends a lot on the aspiring singer’s ability. Of course luck also comes into play besides good old hard work and opportunity. Those who have gone abroad and made it are not overnight successes. They really worked hard to get to where they are.”    
0 T& _' U: g& |/ w   + S: `/ u1 |) |7 H# G. y
HIM Music promotion executive Lim Yong Yong echoed Tan’s sentiments.    4 _& j, ^8 M2 z4 z9 i. j

" R; n9 q8 ]) ^2 P“It is not easy to break into overseas markets like Taiwan and Hong Kong. So the artistes who go there already have a fighting chance to make it. They are the best of the best from their country. And they have something to offer, be it their distinctive vocals, creative compositions or other things that set them apart.”    6 b* x5 X' Q4 m! K3 Y- S, u

1 }7 V9 I% U% a0 o* ^( ALim also made an astute observation of the state of music in Taiwan. “I feel that the success of Malaysian singers overseas is due in part to the Taiwanese public’s open and receptive attitude to all genres of music regardless of where the singer is from.    4 G0 U( z* v8 i# f
   ) Z5 V* b1 L) a0 O8 V# p" F. m
“Of course, timing and market trends are also factors that determine a singer’s success.”    
1 p$ `1 P: W0 i8 `2 E0 t* \. X  ~   
; r) `) I5 [9 f5 a" z) A' DIt’s heartening to note, too, that the band of successful Malaysian Chinese singers are not neglecting their roots.    - j2 e/ x" l/ U8 o3 D- p2 W- M, a
   3 T* E, n4 r5 q0 B9 Y+ G- u+ x
At the 2006 PWH (Persatuan Wartawan Hiburan) Awards – organised by the entertainment journalists association to recognise the best in local Chinese music – a good number of our top-notch stars came home for the event held in Kuala Lumpur a week ago.    0 j  N' x$ Y: R  F7 }# s" u
   % q( ^( m# o, E3 ~& S
Michael Wong, Penny Tai, Fish Leong, Gary Chaw Ge, Nicholas Teoh and Lim Yu Zhong joined their local-based counterparts like Daniel Lee, Yu Heng, Quincy and Yan Wei Han in gracing the show.    
+ J" Z6 r: _4 f- n* K7 U   
3 k/ I6 H. V5 }7 X2 Z1 [In conclusion, it is through sheer hard work, talent, exposure and opportunity that more and more Malaysian singers are rising to prominence in the tough regional Chinese music arena.    
: E( n$ ^1 A% E# ]3 h' n   0 Q' s- |5 G3 h7 t: p' h
Fairy-tale success it is not.  

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?加入倾听

x
发表于 2006-12-5 08:08:13 | 显示全部楼层
看不懂哎~
发表于 2006-12-5 19:15:07 | 显示全部楼层
无论什么,支持静茹.; L9 J+ F7 f4 u' F7 |
谁来翻译啊
发表于 2006-12-6 10:48:34 | 显示全部楼层
英文嘛,可以查查字典就行了,单词也不是很深啊!2 [: s1 t$ P2 T/ V& N" p! M
大家试试看吧!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
发表于 2006-12-8 16:39:29 | 显示全部楼层
哎~~~~~~~弄不懂啊`~~~~~~~~~
发表于 2006-12-8 19:32:49 | 显示全部楼层
反正要支持啦!!!!!!!!
发表于 2006-12-9 12:35:59 | 显示全部楼层
??????你认为我们英文有那么好吗?
发表于 2006-12-20 03:09:37 | 显示全部楼层
永远支持静茹。。。。。。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 加入倾听

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|梁静茹国际后援会 ( 蜀ICP备05001976号 )

GMT+8, 2024-9-28 10:16